This post was originally featured over on www.projectunderblog.com “Let’s make a baby! You know you want to.” Me: Shut up! No I don’t! “Remember how beautiful it is feeling kicks? You miss that.”. Me: Yea but I don’t miss getting kicked in the ribs or […]
“I wanted to know if you’d go to my prom with me?” That sentence was the one that would change my life; I of course said yes and we had the best time. Never did either of us think we’d still be in love 10 years later and have a family, house or our slobbering dog.
Ten years ago today I told him he had to ask me to be his girlfriend. That poor 17 year old boy had no clue what he was getting himself into. It was a whirlwind of a romance. We fell in love fast and deep. We graduated high school and both realized we wanted more. The future was ours for the taking and we were excited. It wasn’t easy and never really has been.
We’ve fought hard to defy the odds. Not many people stay with their high school sweetheart and very few are with someone for 10 years. I look at the pictures of us when we were kids and laugh. This is the life I dreamt of as a child but that 16 year old girl didn’t know she’d have it.
To find a person who makes you laugh so hard you can pee is what we all want. I always feel safe with him. We have the same interests and hobbies. We’ll continue to support one another even when we’re not happy about it.
I’m so grateful for the love and support we’ve received over the years. While we’re not the picture perfect couple, we’re perfect for each other.
I love you, Jake and I am so happy to call you mine. Here is to another 100 years to life.
Oh to be 14 again. Man, and have that 6 pack again. Now my 6 pack looks like a pony keg. I have some great memories from that age. I was just starting high school and thought I was so cool. My best friend Kelsey and I were going to make this year our b-uh our best yet. I’ll never forget Chuck and Austin. They were seniors and the hottest guys in school. Little did we know their reputations yet. Not like we would have cared much anyways, like I said, HOT! There was a mixer a week and a half into school. We got dressed as hot as two 14 year old prudes could. That’s when we met them. They used every pick up line that would work to make our little hearts pitter-patter. Oh and our hearts raced and we had the biggest doofy grins on our faces. We hung out with them all night and had the best time. Nothing more than dancing happened (remember, 14 and innocent.) I did get their numbers. Yea, you can imagine how excited I was about that. I ended up being friends with both of them and nothing more than that. Obviously I still drooled over them.
There are a lot of memories from then I love and some that were just awkward. So let me take you back to 2002-2003.
1. I listened to a lot of Usher and Ludacris. Oh and Garth Brooks.
2. I got my braces off the day before Thanksgiving.
3. I made some amazing new friends.
4. I had the WORST Homecoming with a guy who cried because he thought I ditched him at the dance. I was visiting with my cousin for a few minutes.
5. I had the hottest math teacher. Mr. Adams. Oh wow was he good looking.
6. My best friends finally fell in love with Tennis like me and joined the team.
7. I got my eyebrows waxed. That was a huge mistake. They were those brows that are huge by your nose and then suddenly super thin. It was the popular style.
8. Regretfully, a guy who had been a dear friend since 4th grade suggested we kiss. It was barely a peck on the lips and his breath smelt like a hot dumpster.
9. I ran into an open locker door. Yep, it was as funny as it sounds. My friend and I were walking and I was looking at her so I didn’t realize it until I was on the ground.
10. I ate an all natural dog biscuit on a dare from my counselor. He did it too. It tasted terrible. Why would a dog eat that?
11. I took the worst class, Child Development. You can take a robot baby home for extra credit. That thing was great birth control.
12. I went to church camp and got a shop vac stuck to my stomach. We were laughing as it moved ripples on our skin. Yea, it’s all fun and games until you’re screaming get it off, it’s stuck! Why did it take us so long to turn it off?
13. And there was the time I learned that I will never ride an ATV again. I’d been riding them since I was like 9. After a crash that sent me to the hospital I haven’t been on one since.
14. And the best memory I have was thanks to Señor Widmer. There was this guy Jesse that I was in “love” with and ny teacher knew it. So he invited him to our class to help me study my spanish. I didn’t retain anything he said to me because I was making googly eyes the entire time. Gracias Señor.
I fear my daughter turning 14 but I hope it’s a great year for her too. What are your favorite memories from 14?
Every night before I crawl into bed, I put on my lip balm. It’s become a necessary habit. The other night, I noticed it was kind of painful to put it on. I unscrewed the tube thinking I was rubbing the case on my face. Then to my surprise, I realized something truly magnificent.
I finished a whole tube of lip balm with out losing it!
So that reminded me of the ecard I kept seeing online talking about how there should be an award for being able to use a whole tube of lip balm without losing it. Yea, where is that award?
I decided to compile a list of all of the things that deserve an award but haven’t yet.
- Finishing a container of left overs and not throwing them away a week later.
- Running out of conditioner the same time as shampoo.
- Not going broke before your next paycheck.
- Not having to put your phone on the charger before bed.
- Using all the milk and not leaving a sip after a recipe.
- Remembering to bring your grocery list to the store.
- Not drunk texting.
- Holding the door open for people.
- Stopping so a pedestrian can cross the street.
- Having each sock be in a pair when you fold laundry.
- Having undies survive several years.
- Making a light before it turns red.
- Talking your way out of a ticket.
- Not getting food on your clothes when you eat.
- Replacing the toilet paper when it’s out.
- Remembering to actually reply to someone, not just mentally.
Not losing your shit when a grown adult asks how you’re spelling ‘dinosaur’ in your email address.
Well, I think that list alone deserves an award or maybe a reward for now. I think I’ll reward myself with a glass of wine and a Fudgesicle, because I can!