After 11 years together, it can be hard to keep the spark alive. Jake has spent most of our relationship working out of town. I would do my best to go be with him but it was a rare time when I could. After we got pregnant with Audrey, I began going down a couple days a week to be with him. He was tired after work and didn’t want to do anything usually. I get it, I was tired too from growing a baby. I wasn’t going to go without him though. So in this little college town, with hardly anything to do during the summer, we found fun with each other.
Now that Audrey is here, finding time alone is harder than ever. We don’t go to bed at the same time due to work schedules, and I am usually the one who gets up with Audrey. And with our home undergoing so many remodeling projects, money is tighter than ever. I know how you all feel. You want some alone time with your sugar buns and you don’t want it to cost you $300 for a hotel room. So here are some cheap and fun ideas for you to do.
- Attend a Farmer’s Market.
- Do a Chopped Night.
- Get a Redbox movie and make a big bowl of popcorn.
- Plan a picnic in the park.
- Go to the beach and run in the water and build sandcastles.
- Build your own Drunk Jenga.
- Make some cards for friends and family to just say you’re thinking of them.
- Set up the sprinklers and run through them.
- Take one of the free DIY classes at Lowe’s or Home Depot.
- Watch some humor channels on YouTube. One of my favorite is Simon’s Cat. It’s hysterical.
- Go on a Walmart Scavenger Hunt.
- Visit a new coffee shop.
- Do a tasting at a brewery or winery.
- Plan a game night with friends.
- Tour your city. Go to your city’s website and see what they say to visit.
- Volunteer at your local animal shelter.
- Check out some local comedians.
- Visit a student art show.
- Take a hike.
- Go on a drive and hold hands.
One of my favorite dates is after Audrey goes to bed. When the weather is nice, we sit outside on our patio with a treat and just talk. Politics, sports, religion, life and how much we love beer.